Sunday, April 17, 2011

Daily Story 28 - Losing Something Else

(Yes, yes, I know I'm a day late... blame it on finals.)

The small, speckled dog barked and barked, and she pulled at her leash, wanting desperately to go inspect a nearby bush. Her owner groaned and pulled harder on the leash, not wanting her to chase after whatever poor creature was hidden within. And so, the dog had to forget about the small child hidden behind the bare branches.

The child in question breathed a heavy sigh of relief as the dog left the park with her owner. Always, dogs came to him. They found him whether he liked it or not, and they all wanted to be his best friend. It was nice, of course, but at times like this, it was dangerous. He couldn't afford to be found by anyone, especially since his face was probably on all the news channels in the town. In fact, as soon as the park was empty, he left the cover of the bushes and sprinted down the snow-covered path. He had to get out of this town, and fast.

"You do realize there are easier ways to skip town, don't you?" a voice called out to him, and he would have panicked if he hadn't recognized it. He stopped and turned to see an older woman standing by one of the park's tall evergreens. Strangely enough, she didn't seem at all concerned about the fact that he'd left her house without a word.

"I thought it would be better if nobody knew what happened to me," he replied.

"You're afraid that we might get in trouble for helping you?"

He nodded.

"You're a good boy, Kyle. But you don't need to worry about us. If they investigate us, we'll be in trouble whether or not they find out that you stayed with us."

"But wouldn't it be worse if they knew you helped me? I mean, I'm a blue wolf. That's the whole reason my mom wants me to hide, isn't it?"

"I suppose so. Still, I'd rather be punished by the government for helping you than punished by my conscience for making you do this on your own."

He sighed. "But I have to do this on my own. They know I'm not in Oakwood anymore. If I let anyone help me it'll either be a risk to me or a risk to them."

"I understand that. Still, though, won't you at least let me help you one last time?"

He looked at her face, then sighed. He couldn't bring himself to say no. "Fine..."

"Good. The car's just across the street. I'll take you to the edge of town, and you can get out while the blockade's inspecting my car."

He followed her and got inside the car, noticing right away the scent of fresh pizza. She smiled at him and nodded her head at the back seat. "I didn't want you to leave on an empty stomach."

He thanked her and ate quietly as they drove through the quiet streets. A new year had only just begun, and he'd already lost his mother and been forced to go deeper into hiding. He exited the car just before it came into view of the blockade, and as the police searched the small vehicle, he snuck past them and ran into the night. He was on his own now. It was just one more thing they'd taken from him.

He just hoped that one day he could take it all back.

No comments:

Post a Comment