Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Kieran's Demon Horse

Another Kieran story. This one's all dialogue so let me know if it's a little too confusing and I'll add some indicators as to who's talking and all that.


"Why is there a horse by the window?"
"Huh?  You mean in the hallway or something?"
"No, right there."
"There's not a horse in here, Kieran."
"Yeah, there is."
"No, there's not."
"Yeah- Look, it's right in front of you!  How can you not see it?"
"…Okay, um, what does it look like?"
"It looks like a horse."
"Kieran…"
"Oh.  Um, it's dark brown… no, it's got some red in its fur, and… really creepy red eyes…"
"Why don't you go up and touch it?"
"No! I'm not going to touch it!"
"Why not?"
"Because it's creepy!"
"Okay, fine, I'll go up to it-"
"NO!"
"Kieran, are you being serious?"
"Of course I'm being serious!  It's right fucking there!"
"Well, I'm not seeing it, so unless it can somehow make itself invisible to everybody but you, I'm pretty sure it's not there."
"But it is!"
"Oh, yeah?  Then what's it doing?"
"It's just kind of standing there.  It keeps staring at me and it's got this creepy look on its face.  I think it wants to kill me."
"Why would a horse want to kill you?"
"I don't know, but it sure as hell looks ready for it!"
"Okay, Kieran, think about this.  You're in a top-secret underground facility with cameras, heat sensors, about a dozen different security systems designed to keep intruders out, and there isn't a single trace of damage to be seen in this room.  How the hell could a horse have gotten in here?"
"It's a demon horse."
"All right, look… have you ever hallucinated before?"
"What?"
"Have you ever had any sort of visual hallucinations before today?"
"Um… wait, you think I'm hallucinating?"
"Yep."
"But… wait, now it looks pissed."
"Kieran, calm down.  Your mind is just playing tricks on you."
"I really don't think so."
"Of course you don't think so.  Your mind doesn't want to acknowledge that what you're seeing isn't real."
"But… oh, shit, it's coming towards us.  Wait, don't walk towards it!"
"It's fine, Kieran.  There's nothing there."
"Yes, there is!  It- oh, wait, it's gone now."
"See?  I told you."
"It's probably just retreated to plan its next move."
"Kieran…"
"What?  I know I'm crazy, but- oh.  Wait."
"Yeah.  So, you ready to get back to what we were doing?"

"Um… sure, I guess."

No comments:

Post a Comment